Saturday, September 7, 2013

Ablation Journal Entry 1

I'm two days away from having my ablation and I'm nervous as hell. I suppose I should start at the beginning though. I'm sure it's a bit confusing coming into this blind. 

     I have an arrhythmia called Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. It's a congenital heart defect where the heart has an extra electrical pathway called the Bundle of Kent. This pathway forces the ventricle chamber of my heart to pump before there is blood in it. Pretty much it makes my heart go all fluttery without the whole love thing. Even though I was born with this condition it wasn't diagnosed until April 1, 2013. It'a actually a pretty funny story.

     I had broken a tooth and was going in to have it fixed. The doctor took my temperature and blood pressure (which I guess is normal now but I'd never had to have that done for someone to look at my teeth before.) My temperature was fine but my blood pressure was really high. They sent me to the Emergency Room where they ran all sorts of tests. During those tests they found a delta wave. The delta wave is a sure fire sign of having WPW. I wish this had been a joke but sadly it wasn't. So immediately I went to a cardiologist. I've been seeing him for the past 3 years and now I'm finally getting the surgery to have this thing fixed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment