Thursday, February 12, 2015

Valentine's Day Opinions 2015

As a little girl I couldn't wait for Valentine's Day. It meant chocolate and cards and candy. I got to wear pink, red and white and look extra pretty for a day. We got to open our cards and candy in class and have a party. It was just plain awesome. As I grew up a bit it got less special. It turned into a day dedicated to having a boyfriend and dates. That is when I started hating Valentine's Day. I can't remember having a single date, a single boyfriend or in general having a good holiday from the time I was in middle school to the time I graduated high school. Needless to say I was lonely. Of course I had my friends and family but I (like other girls that age) wanted a boyfriend.

When I went into college I ended up with a boyfriend for Valentines day. The problem was he was across the country in basic training. I, being the dutiful girlfriend, made him a care package of lots of candy, fresh made cookies, and, of course, a card written with a lovely message. Keep in mind that we had talked about the possibilities of us getting married eventually. He was a good man but not too long later I got a breakup text... Yeah... a text..

The next year my Valentine was my fiance (now ex husband). I cooked a nice meal for him, including dessert and I got nothing.... It was the same way for the next 4 years. The last Valentines Day I had with him, we ended up going out the day after and I had to fight for his attention because he decided to flirt with his "friend" while we were on our date.

Last year I was dealing with a divorce. I've never had a good Valentines Day.

HOWEVER, I believe that I could when I find the right man though I don't want him to just be romantic and thoughtful on Valentines Day. I think that romance and showing that you care about someone should be a daily thing. Love should be an every day thing. Not just when it suits you.

No comments:

Post a Comment