Monday, March 9, 2015

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Review


Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden first caught my attention as a young girl in high school when I first saw the screen adaptation of the novel. I must say that it was one of the first things that piqued my interest in Japanese culture. 

In the book Arthur Golden brings out the voice and story of one of the most renown geisha in Japan, Nitta Sayuri. She (then known as Chiyo) was sold by her elderly father and ill mother to a geisha house when she was 9 years old along with her sister Satsu. She grew from being a maid to a free geisha by the time she was 18 years old. Her story was so captivating that at times I couldn't put the book down though my eyes kept closing for minutes at a time in the wee morning hours.

The character of Sayri (Chiyo) was written amazingly and I felt connected to her story as if it were my own at times. I could feel her heartbreak and her triumphs as if they were happening to me. It is a must read for anyone who loves a good story and a must watch in general. The movie is my favorite of all time and I think this book is right there with it.

My Top 5 Favorite Movies

No comments:

Post a Comment