Saturday, January 31, 2015

"Different Worlds" Prologue

There was a chill in the air as Vivian carried her whimpering toddler out of The Corset Club both she and her child had been born into. "Hush, sweet heart. I'm sending you to a better place, one that you deserve. I don't know when I will see you again but know I love you with all my heart." she said as she wiped a tear from her cheek. "Be brave my beautiful little girl." she told the child as she put her down and knelt on the hard cobblestone street looking into the innocent eyes of the only thing she held dear.

Two men dressed in simple white clothes walked toward the two with calm yet alert eyes. They smiled. "Is this Little Ruth?" The older of the two asked as he knelt down to the child's level. "I am going to take you to a wonderful place of beauty and joy. Would you like that?" he asked holding out his hand to the child.

Ruth nodded. "Can Mommy come too?" she asked taking the man's hand. She didn't know what made her trust him. Maybe it was his warm smile or the aura of total love that surrounded the men. The younger of the two beamed down at the little girl. "No precious. She is still needed here. My father and I will care for you until it is her time to join us." he said and brushed her hair behind her ear.

Vivian let out a sob and kissed her daughter's forehead. "Be strong sweet heart." she said and turned away from the group. "Good bye my angel." she said and ran back into the club as tears ran down her face. She went right for her bedroom and locked the door behind her. Her legs gave out as she burst into sobs of deep grief and longing to go with the men and her daughter. She let out a cry of anguish as she silently prayed. "Please care for my daughter. Raise her to be better than those before her."

The little girl looked up at the men and back toward the only home she'd ever known. "Mommy will come see me someday?" she asked. The older man nodded. "Yes. In the mean time Joshua will be your friend." he said as the younger man smiled sweetly. "Does that sound good?" he asked and held out his hand. "We can go see your new room together."

Ruth beamed. "I get a room?" she asked having only ever shared a room with her mother. "Do I have to share it with Yesua?" she asked innocently. "No precious." Joshua said and held out his hand. She giggled at the pet name and took his hand as well. She looked up at the men and nodded. "Then Let's be off." The older man said. and walked away from the club.

Ruth looked back at her mother and watched her fade as the men whisked her to her new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment